- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 large red onion finely chopped
- 1 can black beans low-sodium, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup mushrooms chopped finely
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts, chopped
- 4 small cooked beets (such as Love Beets brand) -sliced/chopped thin
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder or red pepper flakes
Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat and add nonstick spray or a small amount of oil. Add the onion and sauté until soft (~5 minutes), sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Next, turn up the heat to medium and add the mushrooms and walnuts. Season with another sprinkle of salt and pepper and cook about 3 minutes.
Remove mixture from heat and add in black beans and mash with a fork.
Next, transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl and add the quinoa, beets, spices and mix well.
Set mixture in the fridge to chill while your oven preheats to 375 degrees F.
Coat a baking sheet with nonstick spray or olive oil. Form mixture into roughly 8 patties and place on baking sheet. Bake patties at 375 F for a total of 30-45 minutes, flipping very carefully halfway.